Thursday, June 18, 2020

Chit-chat

I'm not someone who much likes to chit-chat. When I talk with someone, I prefer a more thorough and nuanced discussion. Nowadays, I'm wondering if this may help explain why I'm not partial to social media. I feel like the communication pattern is a short burst into oblivion or a stuttering back-and-forth, all devoid of any intimate personal connection. Even when I know the people on the other end of my web 2.0 communications, I don't communicate with them the same way I do face-to-face or by email, phone call, or letter.

So far, I can see the value for social media in making announcements sometimes, or in sharing content that doesn't need any context. But I feel like, in general, it sacrifices quality for quantity. What do you think? Are some types of messages best suited for web 2.0 technologies?

No comments:

Post a Comment