Thursday, June 18, 2020

The Impact of Emotion

Last year, I spent some time learning about connectivism. I kept track of the network of resources I used to build this knowledge: articles, books, people, web search, etc. The colored dots in the month 4 and month 8 circles represent these different types of sources. While I was neutral toward most of the sources, one really stood out as a source I did not like, and one really stood out as a source I enjoyed very much. When I source generated a strong emotion, the line connecting it is highlighted with red for bad feelings and green for good feelings. It is hard to see the colored lines when this isn't printed poster-sized, so I put a red circle around the red line and a green circle around the green line. Notice that the part of the graph near the red circle did not grow between months 4 and 8, while the part around the green circle did. The only reason I didn't like the red-circled reference is because the book author's use of superlatives, something along the lines of "problem-based learning is the only viable method for teaching." The negative reaction I had seems to be one of the main reasons my dissertation will focus on mathematical modeling rather than problem-solving.



What impacts do your emotions have on what you study?

4 comments:

  1. I really like your graphics! Do you have a program you use to create them? DO you feel that creating them has an impact on your learning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I use different programs, depending on what I need. For graphics I've posted lately, I used powerpoint, piktochart, and Gephi. It does help me organize my thoughts, much like writing. For example, the learning ecosystem graphics I'm sharing for the assignment this week are graphics I made to help me synthesize information I collected in a lit review.

      Delete
  2. That is cool to be able to visualize your emotions about content

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see it made such a clear difference!

      Delete