Sunday, June 14, 2020

Who owns these infographics?

I've been sharing some graphics in this blog. I intend to use the final version of these graphics in an article I would like to publish. The article "IP and social media: A guide for content creators and meme sharers" by Ahmed (2018), https://www.udl.co.uk/insights/ip-and-social-media-a-guide-for-content-creators-and-meme-sharers, that we read for class (and, I think, some comments by Vanessa, though I can't find where just now...) gave me pause about posting them, though. Because my blog has such a limited distribution to such trustworthy colleagues, it is not a big concern for these posts. But in the future, I need to be careful about putting work online that I intend to publish later. I wonder, if I posted a graphic and someone else used it before I published it, would some open source publishers be my only option for publishing with it going forward? The article suggested watermarking and using low-quality graphics when posting online to help avoid this issue. I need to adopt those practices going forward so I just don't have to worry about it.

I did notice when reviewing Reddit communities the last couple of weeks that some posts go back to original website instead of posting straight in the forum. That was another suggestion from the article, and maybe why they do it. I don't often click to go look at the external sites, though, so this technique might limit distribution more than a watermark.

No comments:

Post a Comment