Wednesday, June 24, 2020

So many apps

When thinking back on all the software we've explored in class so far, I realize it's a lot! I also realize there aren't very many that are unique. It's more like staring at the laundry detergent aisle. I can see several main categories or brands, each with a vast array of subtleties giving the illusion of true variety.
LMS software is a good example. Moodle, Canvas, and Blackboard all have basically the same functionality. This week in class we're exploring more software in this general class management category: Edmodo, Google Classrooms, and Piazza. Luckily, skills learned in one of these software packages can transfer to the others fairly easily. The question then becomes, how to pick which one to use?
Going back to the detergent analogy, if you have an allergy, you may not care what brand you pick as long as it doesn't have added dyes or fragrances. In the context of an LMS, if there is a certain feature you need, like real-time chat, you might choose whichever brand is cheapest and easiest to install as long as it has that desired feature. On the other hand, going back to the detergent, if you do not have an allergy, you might base your decision on whichever is cheapest or smells the best to you. For software, the aesthetics and bells-and-whistles can be the deciding factor between options with similar functionality.
What is the most important characteristic to you when choosing software?

1 comment:

  1. The detergent analogy is spot on. I would say that I care the ingredients and smells when it comes to detergent. I try to avoid evidently harmful ingredients and unpleasant or too strong smells. For software, interestingly, I think I do care its features and aesthetics. I tend to get hooked on one feature of software first. Then, how simple and sophisticated it looks is also an important factor for me when deciding if I would keep using the software.

    ReplyDelete