Sunday, June 14, 2020

More Learning Ecosystem Infographics

In a previous post, at https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/8630013263774744214/7311290321790738256, I shared a couple of graphics I have been working on to represent a learning ecosystem. These graphics are based on using Bronfenbrenner's bioecological model to frame the empirical evidence of learning complexities. I have focused on modeling evidence of complexity because those studies should present a more holistic view of learning than studies focused on more reductionist techniques. My previous post showed the general model and empirical evidence of learning I uncovered at the broadest scale, called the macrosystem. Here I am including graphics of the more concentrated scales, the exosystem, mesosystem, and microsystem (please see the previous post for a description of each of these system levels). I appreciate any and all comments!

Some of the empirical studies I reviewed focused on exosystem characteristics, the factors outside the direct control of the people in the microsystem, such as, social systems, events, and policies. Some studies focused on how exosystem elements, like professional best practices and resource availability, impact individuals. Some studies focused on how individuals and their choices impact the exosystem, such as a school. The following graphic summarizes these findings:



The mesosystem is made of interactions between people and between a person and non-human elements in the system. The studies I reviewed found both one-way and two-way interactions between people and with resources. The following graphic depicts these mesosystem characteristics.


The microsystem includes individuals, complete with their personal characteristics. The studies I reviewed mainly focused on these personal characteristics and the biological aspects to learning. A couple of studies focused on diversity among microsystem elements. The details are presented in the following graphic, even though I can't figure out how to left-justify this paragraph...:


I'd love to hear what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment